Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Tell God

Last night, Beth Moore said we should tell God everything, and confess everything. Well, we all know that, right? I am conscientious about confessing my sins, and often ask God to reveal anything to me that is a sin, or a shortcoming. I ask Him to "search my heart". But, something she said made a lot of sense to me, and I had never thought about it before.

Often, things happen that, if not dealt with, can cause problems later. They can cause outbursts of anger, resentment, bitterness, etc. And what was so eye-opening to me, was that we were supposed to confess these things BEFORE they became a sin. Ask God to help us deal with them, BEFORE they became a problem.

Someone said something to me the other day that hurt my feelings. I keep thinking about it over and over, wondering what her motive was. Of course, the enemy is right there, whispering in my ear that her motive was not pure. Maybe she didn't even have a motive! But the more I thought about it, the more I was certain she did, and I got mad. Now, this poor woman has absolutely no idea what is going on, and it would not be fruitful to tell her about it. In the old days (ok, yesterday), I would have let this fester, and fester, until I would no longer even be able to be friends with this person. I would never have considered this something to tell God, because it seems so childish and immature. But, guess what! He knows I'm childish and immature about some things, and He wants to talk to me about it, but He can't until I open up the lines of communication with Him. And that's what the confessing is all about.

Tell God. He already knows anyway, and no matter how small it is, let's deal with it before it turns into something huge.

1 comment:

Carla Jo said...

I loved this too. The pouring out to make the room for the Holy Spirit to fill us up. It makes so much sense.