Friday, November 4, 2011

To Spank or Not to Spank

As a Christian, I have always believed in "spare the rod, spoil the child". As an adult with grown children, I look back and think maybe I wasn't as strict as I should have been, as we didn't do a lot of spanking. There is a news story with a video of a father spanking his then 16-year old daughter. It is pretty hard to watch, I admit, and part of me thinks he went overboard, but another part started to notice something. The whole time he is spanking her, he is telling her to do something, and she is still refusing to do it. That tells me a lot. That tells me that he had probably reached the end of his rope with a very rebellious child. Anyone out there have a rebellious teen? What is a parent supposed to do? What else could he have done at that point? And another thing. Who was taking the vidoe? If it was truly abuse, why did the person holding the video camera allow it to continue. And why did it come out now, after so many years? I had a neighbor one time who had a rebellious child. They spanked her (I think she was about 10 at the time), so she called CPS. From that time forward, they were afraid to discipline her at all, and the results were disastrous. The bible tells us to discipline our children. There are even a couple of stories where God held the parent responsible, because they failed to control their children. I don't like to see parents spank their kids in public, but I sure don't like to see the results of children with no discipline at all. By the way, although we can count on one hand the number of times we spanked our two, they STILL have the fear of "Mom". I guess we did OK.

No comments: